Whether you are new to middle school or you have been teaching for a long time, we can still learn from each other. GAEA is a great place to do that. There are so many issues and ideas that middle school teachers share that we can only help ourselves by being in contact. Send me an email to let me know where you are and what is happening in your area.
You might be a middle school art teacher if…
- You have ever had a student assume colored sand was what they make those pixie sticks out of and attempt to eat it.
- You confiscate candy from your students just so you can eat it later.
- Your co-workers say "Youre so creative," which really means "I would like you to draw something for me."
- You have no problem telling students to pull up their pants, tuck in their shirt, and spit out their gum even when you are not at school.
- Face it! We are some of the coolest, most enthusiastic, talented, entertaining and effective visual arts teachers out there. Ok, so maybe other art teachers are great too, but it takes a very special person to teach middle school visual arts. Despite all the drama, we love every minute of it!